Clarity on Pricing: For Employees
Our pricing for bringing claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal.
Our legal fees will vary depending upon the complexity of the case. VAT will be charged on our fees at the prevailing rate, currently 20%.
- Simple case: £1,000-£3,000 (plus VAT)
- Medium complexity: £7,000-£12,000 (plus VAT)
- High complexity : £12,000-£18,000 (plus VAT)
Factors that could make a case more complex:
- if it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide information about an existing claim;
- claims that are brought by or against litigants in person;
- making or defending a costs application;
- complex preliminary issues such as whether the client is under a disability (if this is not agreed by the parties);
- TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings) issues
- the number of witnesses and documents;
- if it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim, e.g. if you are dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer;
- allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal
- if it is part of an action affecting numerous Claimants or Respondents
The costs will also vary depending upon at what stage your case is resolved. For example, if your case is settled during the early stages of the claim, then the costs will be less than if the case proceeds to a Final Hearing. Costs will also depend on the number of days the Hearing has been listed for and whether there are any Preliminary Hearing/Hearings.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
Counsel’s (barrister’s) fees vary per day (depending on experience of the advocate) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
- Simple cases: £1,000-£3,000 (plus VAT)
- Medium complexity cases: £2,000- £5,000 (plus VAT)
- Complex cases: £4,000 – £7,000 (plus VAT)
The fees set out above cover all of the work in relation to the key stages of a claim:
- Conflict of interest check
- Taking your initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising you on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change);
- We obtain Anti-Money Laundering proof of Identity
- submitting early conciliation notification form to ACAS
- Liaising with ACAS during early conciliation process
- Advising you once matter leaves early conciliation process
- Drafting ET1 (claim form) and the details of your complaint
- Considering ET3 (response from employer) and taking instructions on the same
- Complying with directions
- Preparing list of documents and considering the Respondents documents then taking instructions on the same
- Preparing Schedule of Loss (a list of your financial losses)
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing;
- Taking detailed statements from you and any witnesses
- Considering Respondents (your employer’s) witness evidence and taking instructions from you in respect of the same
- Further liaising with ACAS
- Considering trail bundle index
- Preparation and attendance at hearing including instructions to Counsel (the barrister representing you) .
The stages set out above are an indication and if some of the stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
How long will my application take?
The time that it takes from taking your initial instructions to the final resolution of your matter depends largely on the stage at which your case is resolved. If a settlement is reached during early conciliation, your case is likely to take three to six months.
If your claim proceeds to a Final Hearing, your case is likely to take six to twelve months. However, this estimate is subject to the Employment Tribunal listing dates. This is just an estimate and we will of course be able to give you a more accurate timescale once we have more information.
For more information on Watkins & Gunn Employment services for Employees & to meet our team of expert lawyers, click here.
Your Problem Solved
We’ll give you jargon-free advice without any hidden costs – and we’re open on Saturday mornings!