Chat with us, powered by LiveChat
Childcare Law

When a local authority and Social Services become involved in your family we understand how traumatic it can be.  Our childcare team can offer you sound advice and support to help you through the process. We can also put you in touch with other organisations and professionals to help you.

If care proceedings have started or whether Social Services are holding meetings about children within your family, our childcare team offers clear legal advice based on years of experience.

We can also act on behalf of children through Court appointed Guardians.

What if care proceedings have started?

It is vital you get an experienced and regulated lawyer to deal with your case as soon as possible. Getting proper advice from a legal expert will help you understand what is happening and will help you to have a greater say in how your family is dealt with by Social Services.

What if Social Services is involved but there are no court proceedings?

We can still help you. We can explain to you what Social Services representatives are asking you to do and help to ensure that you are being treated fairly.

What will it cost you?

The Childcare Team at Watkins & Gunn is committed to Public Funding (Legal Aid) and at a first meeting we can advise you as to your eligibility. If you are a parent and care proceedings have already been started you will be entitled automatically to help with your legal costs.


Contact us today to see how we can help you.


As a firm we are fully supportive of the governments attempts to try to limit the spread of COVID-19.

We have therefore closed all of our offices until further notice.

We are however open for business remotely. We have set up systems to ensure that our staff are able to continue to support you through home working.

Contact us by telephone 0300 1240 400 or preferably by e mail – or simply text legal to 67777 and we will call you.

We can conduct appointments by telephone or video call.

Thank you for your patience at this difficult time.

Stay safe and well.


As we shall be operating electronically, please correspond with us by e mail. Avoid sending us any hard copy documents by post as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to access or process them.